Thursday, June 01, 2006

A PhD For What?


There is a lot of work to be done and I am now fully re-engaged with my PhD. It involves a lot of thinking, reflecting and then placing a lot of information in a coherent manner. So once you do this for three years, you acquire a culture of thinking and become a Doctor of Philosophy which is of Greek origin meaning "Teacher of Philosophy.

The most interesting this is that anyone can do it [even for one that got at E in Maths like me]and let me tell you, all it does is give you confidence because society is arranged to think of it in that way. I do believe that everyone has their own legitimacy to act and think as they think fit, for so long as those acts and thoughts do not cause harm to the society.

I strongly believe that people should aspire to make everyone happy and content in order to acquire freedom from want. It is this hunger and inequality, brought about by education and lack of it that makes this world full of pain and danger. These are all natural thoughts and which everyone is born with. There is nothing special to it so trust me I only study all this in order to achieve that legitimacy that the world expects and so that I can stand on that podium and say these very things.

Look at the dog on the right, [ or imagine a dog in red shades]we call this a 'Gui' in our language. The PhD is just like the shades on the Gui, very funky but an imposition of western values and an extension of colonialism. Still some of us seem to do only what is expected of us but when the eagle lands it shall be true indeed that the weapons we collect in this journey will bite and terrorise their minds.