Thursday, October 25, 2007

PhD-Final Year

Two years ago, during this time, my mind was tried and troubled. It was also excited and found life fully captivating. I awaited my LLM-International Law results that I had completed n September 2005 in deep suspense. And when they finally came, the hills of Sheffield seemed to light up. I had just graduated with a Distinction and attained an Award of Academic Excellence from the University of London. Even though I believed it, this moment in time confirmed all that I ever dreamed of when I was a child: that amidst life's daily struggles, pain and endless enduring hurdles, there exists colour and beauty and that the world is both colourful and beautiful.

And now, here I am in my final year of PhD. This is it! Everyday, the moments before I close my eyes to sleep, my long showers and my long walks to and from home are full of reflection and thoughts of what lies ahead. Before I left Kenya, many women and men sang and danced, full of blessings. Their farewell at the airport made me feel as if I was being sent for our Cause. Obviously life is short and some have passed on.

But as I left Kenya from my last holiday, my dad whispered to me something that really touched me. He said that a lot is expected of me! A lot will always be expected of me. For now I know that my external examiner at my viva will expect that the work produced for my PhD. must fundamentally be original and significantly contribute to knowledge. Grand and intimidating as it may seem, I say, Bring it On!!

Why did embark on a PhD? Life is full of challenges. I strongly believe in broadcasting values that should shape our world. The PhD is stepping stone to fulfilling that inner most desire to be a player, and not a spectator, in local and world affairs. It will serve to enhance my legitimacy to speak as well as give back to the community. Knowledge is amounts to nothing if it is not shared. My PhD touches and concerns the lives of 800 million citizens and their interaction with each other and the world. Africa will find its place in the 21st century. And I am lesser than a drop in the ocean. I am only a part of the network that will effect change. Change is coming!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home