Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Mangu High School

High school, there is nothing like it! I was fortunate to be in one of the greatest High Schools in Kenya. Mangu High School, P.O Box 314 Thika.My own Father had attended this presitigious institution 32 years prior to my entry.My high school days were turbulent. Yet in them I found direction. Still,I have to confess that I never learnt much in class but I am glad not to have taken interest in the Chemistry, Biology and Power Mechanics of those days. Instead I loved to play Basketball. I still believe that I am the best power-forward that ever played in the court. Most of all, I met a mentor, the Basketball coach Paul Otula Agal whose belief in my abilities further led me to later in life, transform my basketball abilities into success on the academic field.

I did not perform well academically whilst in Mangu High. In fact when I went to collect my results alongside intellectual giant friends, the teachers would greet them by saying 'Well done' , 'Congratulations' etc while they would simply say 'Hi James' and move to the next 'bright' student and continue with their praises. In particular, my maths teacher during my time in Mangu approached me with a distinct level of indifference and I could tell he viewed me as a hopeless boy in Mangu brought to the centre of academic excellence, not by honour, but by the sheer strength of money.

Mangu was indeed an invaluable experience for everyone with differing degrees of touch that continues to shape the way we, the former students of that great school, think and interact with the world. The basketball court became the only platform through which I could unleash my venom on those A-students. Well, even though those days are gone, I can still hear the school coach persistently reminding me that I can go on and be the best in other areas of human influence, and it is on that track that I know I am on.